how to remove storage tier

Hi all,
  I've got a tiered pool arrangement with a replicated pool and an erasure
pool.  I set it up such that the replicated pool is in front of the erasure
coded pool.  I know want to change the properties of the erasure coded pool.
  Is there a way of changing switching which erasure profile is used in the ec
pool?  (It looks possible to change the properties of the erasure profile using
the --force option, but that is noted to be EXTREMELY DANGEROUS.)
  Possibly safer would be to push all the objects from the ec pool into the
replicated pool, de-tier the pools, delete the ec pool, create a new ec pool
with new properties, then re-tier the pools.
  Unfortunately, the documentation I find talks about how to drain the cache
pool (replicated pool) rather than the other way around.

Any ideas?
Chad.