Re: Ceph PG Incomplete = Cluster unusable

On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 4:49 PM, Alexandre Oliva <oliva@xxxxxxx> wrote:
However, I suspect that temporarily setting min size to a lower number
could be enough for the PGs to recover.  If "ceph osd pool <pool> set
min_size 1" doesn't get the PGs going, I suppose restarting at least one
of the OSDs involved in the recovery, so that they PG undergoes peering
again, would get you going again.

It depends on how incomplete your incomplete PGs are.

min_size is defined as "Sets the minimum number of replicas required for I/O.".  By default, size is 3 and min_size is 2 on recent versions of ceph.

If the number of replicas you have drops below min_size, then Ceph will mark the PG as incomplete.  As long as you have one copy of the PG, you can recover by lowering the min_size to the number of copies you do have, then restoring the original value after recovery is complete.  I did this last week when I deleted the wrong PGs as part of a toofull experiment.

If the number of replicas drops to 0, I think you can use ceph pg force_create_pg, but I haven't tested it.