Re: rbd resize (shrink) taking forever and a day

On 01/06/2015 10:24 AM, Robert LeBlanc wrote:
Can't this be done in parallel? If the OSD doesn't have an object then
it is a noop and should be pretty quick. The number of outstanding
operations can be limited to 100 or a 1000 which would provide a
balance between speed and performance impact if there is data to be
trimmed. I'm not a big fan of a "--skip-trimming" option as there is
the potential to leave some orphan objects that may not be cleaned up
correctly.

Yeah, a --skip-trimming option seems a bit dangerous. This trimming
actually is parallelized (10 ops at once by default, changeable via
--rbd-concurrent-management-ops) since dumpling.

What will really help without being dangerous is keeping a map of
object existence [1]. This will avoid any unnecessary trimming
automatically, and it should be possible to add to existing images.
It should be in hammer.

Josh

[1] https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/2700