Re: Ceph PG Incomplete = Cluster unusable

On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 12:56 PM, Christian Eichelmann
<christian.eichelmann@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> we have a ceph cluster, with currently 360 OSDs in 11 Systems. Last week
> we were replacing one OSD System with a new one. During that, we had a
> lot of problems with OSDs crashing on all of our systems. But that is
> not our current problem.
>
> After we got everything up and running again, we still have 3 PGs in the
> state incomplete. I was checking one of them directly on the systems
> (replication factor is 3). On two machines the directory was there but
> empty, on the third one, I found some content. Using
> ceph_objectstore_tool I exported this PG and imported it on the other
> nodes. Nothing changed.
>
> We only use ceph for providing rbd images. Right now, two of them are
> unusable, because ceph hangs when someone trys to access content in
> these pgs. Not bad enough, if I create a new rbd image, ceph is still
> using the incomplete pgs, so it is a pure gambling if a new volume will
> be usable or not. That, for now, makes our 900TB ceph cluster unusable
> because of 3 bad PGs.
>
> And right here it seems like I can't to anything. Instructing the ceph
> cluster to scrub, deep-scrub or repair the pg does nothing, even after
> several days. Checking which rbd images are affected is also not
> possible, because rados -p poolname ls hangs forever when it comes to
> one of the incomplete pgs. ceph osd lost also does actually nothing.
>
> So right now, I am OK if I lose the content of these three PGs. So how
> can I get the cluster back to live without deleting the whole pool which
> is not for discussion?

Christian, would you mind to provide an exact backtrace for those
crashes from core file? This one is clearly represents one of my worst
nightmares, domino crash of a healthy cluster and even for unstable
version such as Giant issue should be at least properly pinned. I also
suspect that you have an almost empty cluster or very low number of
volumes, as only two volumes are affected in your case. If you don`t
care about your data, after obtaining core dump you may want to try to
mark those pgs as lost, as operational guide suggests.