ceph-deploy & state of documentation [was: OSD & JOURNAL not associated - ceph-disk list ?]

Hello list,

I am a bit wondering about "ceph-deploy" and the development of ceph: I
see that many people in the community are pushing towards the use of
ceph-deploy, likely to ease use of ceph.

However, I have run multiple times into issues using ceph-deploy, when
it failed or incorrectly setup partitions or created a cluster of
monitors that never reach a qurom.

I have also recognised debugging and learning of ceph being much more
difficult with ceph-deploy, compared to going the manual way, because as
a user I miss a lot of information.

Furthermore as the maintainer of a configuration management system [0],
I am interested in knowing how things are working behind the scenes to
be able to automate them.

Thus I was wondering, if it is an option for the ceph community to
focus on both (the manual & ceph-deploy) way instead of just pushing
ceph-deploy?

Cheers,

Nico

p.s.: Loic, just taking your mail as an example, but it is not personal
- just want to show my point.

Loic Dachary [Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 06:08:27PM +0100]:

--
New PGP key: 659B 0D91 E86E 7E24 FD15  69D0 C729 21A1 293F 2D24