Re: Have 2 different public networks

Le 20/12/2014 02:18, Craig Lewis a écrit :

>> And do you have several IP addresses on your server?
>> Can you contact the *same* monitor process with different IP addresses?
>> For instance:
>>     telnet -e ']' ip_addr1 6789
>>     telnet -e ']' ip_addr2 6789
>>

> Oh.  The second one fails, even though ceph-mon is bound to 0.0.0.0.  I
> guess that's not going to work.
>
> Looking again... I'm an idiot.  I was looking at the wrong column in
> netstat.  The daemon is bound to a single IP.    netstat | grep, with no
> column headers bites me again.
>
> I apologize for that wild goose chase.

No problem. We all make careless mistakes. Me first. ;)

> I'm using Chef, which is also more like a manual deployment than
> ceph-deploy.
>

>> when I create my cluster with the
>> first monitor, I have to generate a monitor map with this
>> command:
>>
>>     monmaptool --create --add {hostname} {ip-address} --fsid {uuid}
>> /tmp/monmap
>>                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> And I have to provide an IP address, so it seems logical to me
>> that a monitor is bound to only one IP address.
>>

> I don't see the Chef rule doing anything like that though.

It's curious because it's a command used during the monitor
bootstrapping:

http://ceph.com/docs/master/install/manual-deployment/#monitor-bootstrapping
(item number 11)

In an aside: I don't know Chef but I would like to learn. Sometimes I find
Puppet restrictions a little bit absurd and quite restrictive (like the
absence of loop for instance).

>>> If it's not a traffic volume problem, can you allow the 10.0.2.0/24
>> network
>>> to route to the 10.0.1.0/24 network, and open the firewall enough? There
>>> should be enough info in the network config to get the firewall working:
>>> http://docs.ceph.com/docs/next/rados/configuration/network-config-ref/
>>
>> Yes indeed, It could be enough. But I find it a shame to do this
>> workaround because I'm not able to have monitors bound to several
>> IP addresses. ;)
>>

>  Looks like you'll have to go this route.

Yes... :)

It's very curious. If I understand well, I can provided several
"public" networks (as we can see at this page
http://docs.ceph.com/docs/next/rados/configuration/network-config-ref/#network-config-settings)
and the osd daemons will be automatically bound to several
addresses (one by each "public" networks), but this not the
case for the monitors.

So, indeed, I have to use routing *or* maybe create 2 monitors
by server like this:

[mon.node1-public1]
    host     = ceph-node1
    mon addr = 10.0.1.1

[mon.node1-public2]
    host     = ceph-node1
    mon addr = 10.0.2.1

# etc...

But, in this case, the working directories of mon.node1-public1
and mon.node1-public2 will be in the same disk (I have no
choice). Is it a problem? Are monitors big consumers of I/O disk?

--
François Lafont