Re: Number of SSD for OSD journal

On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 12:10:42 +0300 Mike wrote:

> 16.12.2014 10:53, Daniel Schwager пишет:
> > Hallo Mike,
> >
> >> This is also have another way.
> >> * for CONF 2,3 replace 200Gb SSD to 800Gb and add another 1-2 SSD to
> >> each node.
> >> * make tier1 read-write cache on SSDs
> >> * also you can add journal partition on them if you wish - then data
> >> will moving from SSD to SSD before let down on HDD
> >> * on HDD you can make erasure pool or replica pool
> >
> > Do you have some experience (performance ?)  with SSD as caching
> > tier1? Maybe some small benchmarks? From the mailing list, I "feel"
> > that SSD-tearing is not much used in productive.
> >
> > regards
> > Danny
> >

> No. But I think it's better than using SSD only for journals. Looks on
> StorPool or Nutanix (in some way) - they used SSD as a storage/long life
> cache as a storage.

Unfortunately a promising design doesn't make a well rounded working
solution.

> Cache pool tiering it's a new feature in Ceph introducing in Firefly.
> It's explain why cache tiering by now haven't used in production.

If you'd followed the various discussions here, you'd know that SSD based
cache tiers are pointless (from a performance perspective) in Firefly and
still riddled with bugs in Giant with only minor improvements.

They show great promise/potential and I'm looking forward to use them, but
right now (and probably for the next 1-2 releases) the best bang for the
buck in speeding up Ceph is classic SSD journals for writes and lots of
RAM for reads.

Christian
chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Communications
http://www.gol.com/