Is mon initial members used after the first quorum?

Hi folks,

I think we have a bit of confusion around how initial members is used. I understand that we can specify a single monitor (or a subset of monitors) so that the cluster can form a quorum when it first comes up. This is how we're using the setting now - so the cluster can come up with just one monitor, with the other monitors to follow later.

However, a Deis user reported that when the monitor in his initial members list went down, radosgw stopped functioning, even though there are three mons in his config file. I would think that the radosgw client would connect to any of the nodes in the config file to get the state of the cluster, and that the initial members list is only used when the monitors first come up and are trying to achieve quorum.

The issue he filed is here: https://github.com/deis/deis/issues/2711

He also found this Ceph issue filed: https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/1233

Is that what we're seeing here? Can anyone point us in the right direction?

Thanks,

Chris