Re: Watch for fstrim running on your Ubuntu systems

Good to know. Thanks for sharing!

> On 09 Dec 2014, at 10:21, Wido den Hollander <wido@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Last sunday I got a call early in the morning that a Ceph cluster was
> having some issues. Slow requests and OSDs marking each other down.
>
> Since this is a 100% SSD cluster I was a bit confused and started
> investigating.
>
> It took me about 15 minutes to see that fstrim was running and was
> utilizing the SSDs 100%.
>
> On Ubuntu 14.04 there is a weekly CRON which executes fstrim-all. It
> detects all mountpoints which can be trimmed and starts to trim those.
>
> On the Intel SSDs used here it caused them to become 100% busy for a
> couple of minutes. That was enough for them to no longer respond on
> heartbeats, thus timing out and being marked down.
>
> Luckily we had the "out interval" set to 1800 seconds on that cluster,
> so no OSD was marked as "out".
>
> fstrim-all does not execute fstrim with a ionice priority. From what I
> understand, but haven't tested yet, is that running fstrim with ionice
> -c Idle should solve this.
>
> It's weird that this issue didn't come up earlier on that cluster, but
> after killing fstrim all problems we resolved and the cluster ran
> happily again.
>
> So watch out for fstrim on early Sunday mornings on Ubuntu!
>
> --
> Wido den Hollander
> 42on B.V.
> Ceph trainer and consultant
>
> Phone: +31 (0)20 700 9902
> Skype: contact42on

Cheers.
––––
Sébastien Han
Cloud Architect

"Always give 100%. Unless you're giving blood."

Phone: +33 (0)1 49 70 99 72
Mail: sebastien.han@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Address : 11 bis, rue Roquépine - 75008 Paris
Web : www.enovance.com - Twitter : @enovance