To clarify requirements for Monitors

I'm confused about requirements for ceph services.

http://ceph.com/docs/master/start/hardware-recommendations/
"Monitors simply maintain a master copy of the cluster map, so they are not CPU intensive"
and then in RAM section
"
Metadata servers and monitors must be capable of serving their data quickly, so they should have plenty of RAM (e.g., 1GB of RAM per daemon instance)."

And if I understand correctly, monitors are the access points to the cluster, so they should provide enough aggregated network output for all connected clients based on number of OSDs in the cluster?

And another question about ceph and aws.
Is anybody built anything decent on aws using Ceph, I mean storage itself? Or its not worth the effort since amazon might be already using ceph-alike system on the backend.

Thanks,
--Roman Naumenko
Juicemobile