Re: How to mount cephfs from fstab

Hi there,

On Mon, 24 Nov 2014, 18:08:50 +0100, Erik Logtenberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to mount a cephfs share from fstab, but it doesn't
> completely work.
>
> First of all, I followed the documentation [1], which resulted in the
> following line in fstab:
>
> ceph-01:6789:/ /mnt/cephfs/ ceph
> name=testhost,secretfile=/root/testhost.key,noacl 0 2

it is my understanding that the network must be fully initialized before
mounting a cephfs type directory is possible. The mount option "_netdev"
exists for this exact scenario. Can you try if the following entry
works?

  ceph-01:6789:/ /mnt/cephfs/ ceph name=testhost,secretfile=/root/testhost.key,noacl,_netdev 0 2

> Yes, this works when I manually try "mount /mnt/cephfs", but it does
> give me the following error/warning:
>
> mount: error writing /etc/mtab: Invalid argument
>
> Now, even though this error doesn't influence the mounting itself, it
> does prohibit my machine from booting right. Apparently Fedora/systemd
> doesn't like this error when going through fstab, so booting is not
> possible.
>
> The mtab issue can easily be worked around, by calling mount manually
> and using the -n (--no-mtab) argument, like this:
>
> mount -t ceph -n ceph-01:6789:/ /mnt/cephfs/ -o
> name=testhost,secretfile=/root/testhost.key,noacl
>
> However, I can't find a way to put that -n option in /etc/fstab itself
> (since it's not a "-o option". Currently, I have the "noauto" setting in
> fstab, so it doesn't get mounted on boot at all. Then I have to manually
> log in and say "mount /mnt/cephfs" to explicitly mount the share. Far
> from ideal.

if the above doesn't work, this could be at least achieved by mounting
the cephfs directories via autofs.

> So, how do my fellow cephfs-users do this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Erik.
>
> [1] http://ceph.com/docs/giant/cephfs/fstab/

HTH, cheers.