Re: firefly and cache tiers

On 11/20/2014 03:17 PM, Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 03:12:44 PM Mark Nelson wrote:
Personally I'd suggest a lot of testing first.  Not sure if there are
any lingering stability issues, but as far as performance goes in
firefly you'll only likely see speed ups with very skewed hot/cold
distributions and potentially slow downs in the general case unless you
have an extremely fast network and cache tier.

In giant and master, there are a lot of improvements being made to
decrease unnecessary cache promotions and blocking.

Thanks, good to know. Going to have to add some old disks for testing ;)

I didn't see any mention of ignoring large streaming reads/write - i.e backups
and disk migrations. I imagine doing that would flush the cache of useful
data?

Planned for giant?

See the discussion going on here:

https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/2964