Re: Is there an negative relationship between storage utilization and ceph performance?

I'd say it's storage in general, though Ceph can be especially harsh on file systems (RBD can invoke particularly bad fragmentation in btrfs for example due to how COW works).

So generally there's a lot of things that can cause slow downs as your disks get full:

1) More objects spread across deeper PG directory trees
2) More disk fragmentation in general
3) fragmentation that generates even more fragmentation during writes once you no longer have contiguous space to store objects.
4) A higher data/pagecache ratio (and more dentries/inodes to cache)
5) disk heads move farther across the disk during random IO.
6) differences between outer and inner track performance on some disks.

There's probably other things I'm missing.

Mark