Re: Is there an negative relationship between storage utilization and ceph performance?

On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 10:49 PM, Udo Lembke <ulembke@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
> since a long time I'm looking for performance improvements for our
> ceph-cluster.
> The last expansion got better performance, because we add another node
> (with 12 OSDs). The storage utilization was after that 60%.
>
> Now we reach again 69% (the next nodes are waiting for installation) and
> the performance drop! OK, we also change the ceph-version from 0.72.x to
> firefly.
> But I'm wonder if there an relationship between utilization an performance?!
> The OSDs are xfs disks, but now i start to use ext4, because of the bad
> fragmentation on a xfs-filesystem (yes, I use the mountoption
> allocsize=4M allready).
>
> Has anybody the same effect?
>
> Udo

AFAIR there is a specific point somewhere in Ceph user guide to not
reach commit ratio higher than 70% due to heavy performance impact. In
practice, hot storage feels even fifty-percent commit on a xfs with
default mount parameters, so you may consider as a rule of thumb to
reach commit not higher than 60 percents. For mixed or cold storage
numbers will vary, as average clat and write throughput will matter
less.