Re: 500 Internal Server Error when aborting large multipart upload through object storage

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 3:59 AM, Dane Elwell <dane.elwell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> When we upload a large multipart upload to RGW and it fails, we want
> to abort the upload. On large multipart uploads, with say 1000+ parts,
> it will consistently return 500 errors when trying to abort the
> upload. If you persist and ignore the 500s it will eventually abort
> the upload.
>
> For example, I've uploaded a 4GB test file using Python boto in 2MB
> chunks but fail before it's complete. Then, trying to abort this via
> s3cmd:
>
> [dane@host ~]% s3cmd abortmp s3://mptest-dane/testfile.bin
> 2/eOAoUOh0H4bUY5HVi7ff9WD8VZQPk9o
> ERROR: <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
> <title>500 Internal Server Error</title>
> </head><body>
> <h1>Internal Server Error</h1>
> misconfiguration and was unable to complete
> your request.</p>
>  support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx and inform them of the time the error occurred,
> and anything you might have done that may have
> caused the error.</p>
> in the server error log.</p>
>
> WARNING: Retrying failed request:
> /testfile.bin?uploadId=2/eOAoUOh0H4bUY5HVi7ff9WD8VZQPk9o
> WARNING: 500 (Internal Server Error):
> WARNING: Waiting 3 sec...
> ERROR: syntax error: line 1, column 49
> ERROR: <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
> <title>500 Internal Server Error</title>
> </head><body>
> <h1>Internal Server Error</h1>
> misconfiguration and was unable to complete
> your request.</p>
>  support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx and inform them of the time the error occurred,
> and anything you might have done that may have
> caused the error.</p>
> in the server error log.</p>
>
> WARNING: Retrying failed request:
> /testfile.bin?uploadId=2/eOAoUOh0H4bUY5HVi7ff9WD8VZQPk9o
> WARNING: 500 (Internal Server Error):
> WARNING: Waiting 6 sec...
> ERROR: S3 error: 404 (NoSuchKey):
>
> At this point the multipart upload no longer exists in the list, so
> I'm assuming it's been deleted successfully.
>
> (One of my colleagues is getting the same error when trying to delete
> via boto, so I don't think this is something related to s3cmd
> specifically).
>
> I can't see anything in the logs relating to these 500s at all,
> neither in the RADOSGW logs (which are next to useless anyway on my
> system for some reason), nor in the Apache logs themselves.

This sounds like apache is timing out, as the operation takes too long
for radosgw to complete. A multipart upload abort needs to iterate
through all the parts, and at the moment it does each synchronously,
so the gateway takes too long which triggers an apache timeout.

Yehuda