Re: Redundant Power Supplies

The simple (to me, anyway) answer is "if your data is that important, spend the money to insure it".  A few hundred $$$, even over a couple hundred systems, is still good policy so far as I'm concerned, when you weigh the possible costs of not being able to access the data versus the cost of a power supply.

-----Original Message-----
From: ceph-users [mailto:ceph-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Wido den Hollander
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2014 8:54 AM
To: ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  Redundant Power Supplies

On 10/30/2014 03:36 PM, Nick Fisk wrote:
> What's everyone's opinions on having redundant power supplies in your
> OSD nodes?
>

> One part of me says let Ceph do the redundancy and plan for the
> hardware to fail, the other side says that they are probably worth
> having as they lessen the chance of losing a whole node.
>

> Considering they can add £200-300 to a server, the cost can add up
> over a number of nodes.
>

> My worst case scenario is where you have dual power feeds A and B. In
> this scenario if power feed B ever goes down (fuse/breaker maybe)
> then suddenly half your cluster could disappear and start doing
> massive recovery operations. I guess this could be worked around by
> setting some sort of sub tree limit grouped by power feed.
>

> Thoughts?

I did a deployment with single power supplies because of the reasoning you mention.

Each rack (3 in total) is split into 3 zones, each zone has it's own switch.

In the rack there are 6 machines on powerfeed A together with a switch.
A set of machines on B with a switch and there also is a STS switch which provides "powerfeed C".

Should a breaker trip in a cabinet we'll loose 6 machines at max. If powerfeed A or B goes down datacenter wide we'll loose 1/3 of the cluster.

In the CRUSHMap we defined powerfeeds where we place our replicas over the different powerfeeds.

mon_osd_down_out_subtree_limit has been set to "powerfeed" to prevent a whole powerfeed from being marked as "out".

This way we saved about EUR 300,00 per machine. On 54 machines that was quite a big save.

Wido den Hollander
42on B.V.
Ceph trainer and consultant

Phone: +31 (0)20 700 9902