Re: RADOS pool snaps and RBD

Hi Xavier,

[Moving this to ceph-devel]

On Tue, 21 Oct 2014, Xavier Trilla wrote:
> Hi Sage,
>
> Yes, I know about rbd diff, but the motivation behind this was to be
> able to dump an entire RBD pool via RADOS to another cluster, as our
> primary cluster uses quite expensive SSD storage and we would like to
> avoid constantly keeping one snapshot for every RBD image.
>
> The idea would be to use the mtime of an object to determine if it
> changed after the last backup. If it changed we just dump it to the
> backup cluster. I understand it would consume more space than rbd
> snapshot diff as we would dump the whole object, not just the new data,
> but on the other side the space would be only wasted on the destination
> cluster, which uses cheap rotational disks. I think it could be a good
> idea, let's say it would be a sort of RADOS level incremental backup for
> RBD pools.
>
> So far, we found a way to do it, the only issue is that data would
> change during the dump as RBD images are in use, and that's why we
> wanted to use rados pool snapshots, but considering pool snapshots and
> RBD snapshots are mutually exclusive it could be a problem.

Right.  For RBD you need to snapshot each image independently.

> After playing a little bit with RBD snapshots I realized we could use
> RBD snapshots instead of rados pool snapshots to get a consistent copy
> of an image, but I don't find a way to retrieve the original object
> after the RBD snapshot using rados command.

Yeah, the CLI command won't do it.  You need to use the C, C++, or Python
API directly.  Basically, you need to map the data object back to the RBD
header (which you can do by looking for the rbd_header object with the
same fingerprint as the data block) to get the list of snaps for that
image.  You use that to construct a snap context to read the right snap...

...but, that is all done for you by librbd.  Just (using the C/C++/Python
librbd bindings) list the images in the pool, and for each image open a
handle for the right snapshot, and export that way.  It will probably even
perform better since the IO load is spread across the cluster instead of
traversing each PG in order...

sage