From: "Christian Balzer" <chibi@xxxxxxx>
Cc: ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 6:30:26 AM
Subject: Re:  real beginner question

Hello,

On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 10:53:54 +0100 Ranju Upadhyay wrote:

> Hi Dan and Ashish,
>
> Many thanks for the replies.
>
> It is partly for the learning( and perhaps a production system in
> future) that we are playing with ceph.

Learning about Ceph (configuration, operation wise) with VMs is fine.
Just don't draw any conclusions from your experiences in there when it
comes to performance and other related items, which will be vastly
different with real hardware.

Production is right out (based on VMs).

> I guess, to start with, a simple set up of ,may be 4 vms, where one vm
> is admin node and  one is mons and 2 are osds ( as suggested in
> pre-flight checklist) might be good.

The preflight checklist is unfortunately like so many other documentation
slightly dated, the current version of Ceph defaults to a replica size of
3, thus for things to "just work" you will want 3 OSD nodes.

Christian

chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Communications
http://www.gol.com/