real beginner question

Hi list,

This is a real newbie question.(and hopefully the right list to ask to!)

Is it possible to set up ceph in an already virtualized environment? i.e. we have a scenario here, where we have virtual machine ( as opposed to individual physical machines) with ubuntu OS on it. We are trying to create ceph cluster on this virtual machine . (not sure if this is a sensible thing to do!)

On our effort to install ceph we used vagrant ( came across some notes through google). We thought that would be the easiest route, as we do not know anything yet. But we are unsuccessful. We can go as far as creating a virtual machine but it fails as provisioning stage (i.e.  mons;osds;mdss;rgws etc do not get created)

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Ranju Upadhyay

Maynooth University,