Re: radosGW balancer best practices

I'm using my existing HAProxy server to also balance my RadosGW nodes.  I'm not going to run into bandwidth problems on that link any time soon, but I'll split RadosGW off onto it's own HAProxy instance when it does become congested.

I have a smaller cluster, only 5 nodes.  I'm running mon on the first 3 nodes, and osd and rgw on all 5 nodes.  rgw and mon have very little overhead.  I don't plan put those services on dedicated nodes anytime soon.

MONs need a decent amount of Disk I/O; bad things happen if the disks can't keep up with the MONMAP updates.  Virtual machines with dedicated IOPS should work fine for them.  RadosGW doesn't need much CPU or Disk I/O.  I would have no problem testing virtual machines as RadosGW nodes.

As far as few-and-big or many-and-small, my gut feeling is that Apache FastCGI isn't going to scale up to 10 GigE speeds.  Obviously you should test this.  I don't see much downside to going many-and-small, unless you're planning to go crazy with the "many".  But that also depends on your network, and how the GigE and 10 GigE networks switch/route.

If you have some spare CPU on your MON machines, I see no reason they can't double as RadosGW nodes too.