Re: the state of cephfs in giant

On Wed, 15 Oct 2014, Amon Ott wrote:
> Am 15.10.2014 14:11, schrieb Ric Wheeler:

> >> If the bugfixes are easily identified in one of your Ceph git branches,
> >> I would even try to backport them myself. Still, I would rather see
> >> someone from the Ceph team with deeper knowledge of the code port them.
> >>
> >> IMHO, it would be good for Ceph to have stable support in at least the
> >> latest longterm kernel. No need for new features, but bugfixes should be
> >> there.
> >>
> >> Amon Ott
> >
> > Long term support and aggressive, tedious backports are what you go to
> > distro vendors for normally - I don't think that it is generally a good
> > practice to continually backport anything to stable series kernels that
> > is not a bugfix/security issue (or else, the stable branches rapidly
> > just a stale version of the upstream tip :)).
>
> bugfix/security is exactly what I am looking for.

Right; sorry if I was unclear.  We make a point of sending bug fixes to
stable@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx but haven't been aggressive with cephfs because
the code is less stable.  There will be catch-up required to get 3.14 in
good working order.

Definitely hear you that this important, just can't promise when we'll
have the time to do it.  There's probably a half day's effort to pick out
the right patches and make sure they build properly, and then some time to
feed it through the test suite.

sage