Replacing a disk: Best practices?

Hi folks,

        I recently had an OSD disk die, and I'm wondering what are the
current "best practices" for replacing it.  I think I've thoroughly removed
the old disk, both physically and logically, but I'm having trouble figuring
out how to add the new disk into ceph.

        For one thing, taking a look at this:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.ceph.user/5285/match=osd+number

it sounds like I'll need to abandon my beautiful OSD numbering scheme.  Is
that right?

        I've been looking around for instructions about replacing disks, and
came across this:

http://karan-mj.blogspot.com/2014/03/admin-guide-replacing-failed-disk-in.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+CephStorageNextBigThing+(Ceph+Storage+%3A%3A+Next+Big+Thing)

and this:

http://dachary.org/?p=2428

which sound very different from each other.

       What procedure do you recommend?

Thanks,
Bryan