Re: RBD on openstack glance+cinder CoW?

Hum I just tried on a devstack and on firefly stable, it works for me.

Looking at your config it seems that the glance_api_version=2 is put in the wrong section.
Please move it to [DEFAULT] and let me know if it works.

On 08 Oct 2014, at 14:28, Nathan Stratton <nathan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 5:35 PM, Jonathan Proulx <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We're running Firefly on the ceph side and Icehouse on the OpenStack
> side & I've pulled the recommended nova branch from
> https://github.com/angdraug/nova/tree/rbd-ephemeral-clone-stable-icehouse
>
> according to http://ceph.com/docs/master/rbd/rbd-openstack/#booting-from-a-block-device:
>
> "When Glance and Cinder are both using Ceph block devices, the image
> is a copy-on-write clone, so it can create a new volume quickly"
>
> I'm not seeing this, even though I have glance setup in such away that
> nova does create copy on write clones when booting ephemeral instances
> of the same image.  Cinder downloads the glance RBD than pushes it
> back up as full copy.
>
> Since Glance -> Nova is working (has the show_image_direct_url=True
> etc...) I suspect a problem with my Cinder config, this is what I
> added for rbd support:
>
> [rbd]
> volume_driver=cinder.volume.drivers.rbd.RBDDriver
> rbd_pool=volumes
> rbd_ceph_conf=/etc/ceph/ceph.conf
> rbd_flatten_volume_from_snapshot=false
> rbd_max_clone_depth=5
> glance_api_version=2
> rbd_user=<USER>
> rbd_secret_uuid=<UUID>
> volume_backend_name=rbd
>
> Note it does *work* just not doing CoW.  Am I missing something here?
>
> I am running into the same thing, when I import a temp file is created in /var/lib/cinder/conversion. Everything works, it just is not CoW.

Cheers.
––––
Sébastien Han
Cloud Architect

"Always give 100%. Unless you're giving blood."

Phone: +33 (0)1 49 70 99 72
Mail: sebastien.han@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Address : 11 bis, rue Roquépine - 75008 Paris
Web : www.enovance.com - Twitter : @enovance