Re: Network hardware recommendations

On Mon, 6 Oct 2014 09:17:03 +0000 Carl-Johan Schenström wrote:

> Christian Balzer <chibi@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Any decent switch with LACP will do really.
> > And with that I mean Cisco, Brocade etc.
> >
> > But that won't give you redundancy if a switch fails, see below.
> >
> > TRILL ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRILL_(computing) ) based switches
> > (we have some Brocade VDX ones) have the advantage that they can do
> > LACP over 2 switches.
> [snip!]
> > Meaning you can get full speed if both switches are running and still
> > get redundancy (at half speed) if one goes down.
> > They are probably too pricey in a 1GB/s environment though, but that's
> > for you to investigate and decide.
> >
> > Otherwise you'd wind up with something like 2 normal switches and half
> > your possible speed as one link is always just standby.
>
> I might be mentioning the obvious, but some (most? all?) stacked
> switches allow bonding of ports on different physical switches in the
> group with LACP. Redundancy is provided by the stacking platform. Your
> total bandwidth is of course limited by the stacking interconnect.

They probably do (as in most), but of course you tend to pay for that
pleasure as well in addition to locking yourself into a specific platform.

I don't have the hard numbers right now, but the "real" network guy picked
the individual VDX switches for a reason over a stacked solution. ^^

> We use a stacked pair of Dell Powerconnect 6248's with the 2*12 Gb/s
> interconnect and single 10 GbE links, with 1 GbE failovers using Linux
> bonding active/backup mode, to the four OSD nodes.

Looking up the spacs for that one...
Ah yes, we had a bit more far ranging needs with our switches, including
more 10GbE ports. ^^

Christian

chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Communications
http://www.gol.com/