Re: Network hardware recommendations

Christian Balzer <chibi@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Any decent switch with LACP will do really.
> And with that I mean Cisco, Brocade etc.
>
> But that won't give you redundancy if a switch fails, see below.
>
> TRILL ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRILL_(computing) ) based switches
> (we have some Brocade VDX ones) have the advantage that they can do LACP
> over 2 switches.
[snip!]
> Meaning you can get full speed if both switches are running and still get
> redundancy (at half speed) if one goes down.
> They are probably too pricey in a 1GB/s environment though, but that's for
> you to investigate and decide.
>
> Otherwise you'd wind up with something like 2 normal switches and half
> your possible speed as one link is always just standby.

I might be mentioning the obvious, but some (most? all?) stacked switches allow bonding of ports on different physical switches in the group with LACP. Redundancy is provided by the stacking platform. Your total bandwidth is of course limited by the stacking interconnect.

We use a stacked pair of Dell Powerconnect 6248's with the 2*12 Gb/s interconnect and single 10 GbE links, with 1 GbE failovers using Linux bonding active/backup mode, to the four OSD nodes.

--
Carl-Johan Schenström
Driftansvarig / System Administrator