ceph osd replacement with shared journal device

Hi Owen,

> On 29 Sep 2014, at 10:33, Owen Synge <osynge at suse.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Dan,
>
> At least looking at upstream to get journals and partitions persistently
> working, this requires gpt partitions, and being able to add a GPT
> partition UUID to work perfectly with minimal modification.
>
> I am not sure the status of this on RHEL6, The latest Fedora and
> OpenSUSE support this but SLE12 (To be released) and I think RHEL7 do
> support this.
>
> Im sure you can bypass this as every data partition contains a symlink
> to the journal partition, but persistent naming may be more work if you
> dont use GPT partitions.

The persistent names and udev triggers all work when I first setup the drives with ceph-disk. The ptables are indeed GPT and the links to the journals are to the persistent by-partuuid links. My setup is like this, and it works perfectly:

ceph-disk prepare /dev/sde /dev/sda
ceph-disk prepare /dev/sdf /dev/sda
ceph-disk prepare /dev/sdg /dev/sda
ceph-disk prepare /dev/sdh /dev/sda
ceph-disk prepare /dev/sdi /dev/sda

(each time ceph-disk creates the next partition on sda and creates the correct persistent links. The udev trigger calls ceph-disk activate and the OSD is eventually started).

My only question is about the replacement procedure (e.g. for sde). The options I?ve seen are
  - ceph-disk prepare /dev/sde /dev/sda  ? this will create a 6th partition on sda
  - ceph-disk prepare /dev/sde /dev/sda1  ? in this case the journal link is to sda1 instead of the persistent link.
  - parted /dev/sda rm 1; ceph-disk prepare /dev/sde /dev/sda ? I thought this was working, but in fact the ptable looks like this afterwards (part #1 is at the end of the disk):

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name          Flags
 2      21.5GB  43.0GB  21.5GB               ceph journal
 3      43.0GB  64.4GB  21.5GB               ceph journal
 4      64.4GB  85.9GB  21.5GB               ceph journal
 5      85.9GB  107GB   21.5GB               ceph journal
 1      107GB   129GB   21.5GB               ceph journal

I?m going to trace what is happening with ceph-disk prepare /dev/sde /dev/sda1 and try to coerce that to use the persistent name.

Cheers, Dan