How many objects can you store in a Ceph bucket?

There are no hard limits, or even firm limits.  Performance will slowly
degrade as you add more objects to a bucket.  It's up to you to decide
what's acceptable.

Rules of thumb that have been posted to the list before:
The list of buckets is stored in a single object.  Millions of buckets is a
bad idea.
The list of objects in a bucket is stored in a single objects.  10's of
millions of objects in a bucket is a bad idea.

Both of these are limitations that Inktank plans to fix... eventually.

For my setup, I'm putting a million object into a bucket, then moving on to
a new bucket.  I haven't benchmarked it, but performance is more than
acceptable for my needs.  I have one bucket with 2.5M objects in it.
Adding and Reading objects in that bucket isn't noticeably slower (on a
human scale) than a fresh bucket.

The only thing that I notice as being really slow is listing the contents
of a bucket.  It takes > 10 minutes to list the contents of a bucket with 1
million items using `s3cmd ls`.  The more objects, the slower it goes.  It
appears to be O(n), but I haven't taken the time to prove that.