Problem with customized crush rule for EC pool

On 09/09/2014 14:21, Lei Dong wrote:
> Thanks loic!
>
> Actually I've found that increase choose_local_fallback_tries can help(chooseleaf_tries helps not so significantly), but I'm afraid when osd failure happen and need to find new acting set, it may be fail to find enough racks again. So I'm trying to find a more guaranteed way in case of osd failure.
>
> My profile is nothing special other than k=8 m=3.

So your goal is to make it so loosing 3 OSD simultaneously does not mean loosing data. By forcing each rack to hold at most 2 OSDs for a given object, you make it so loosing a full rack does not mean loosing data. Are these racks in the same room in the datacenter ? In the event of a catastrophic failure that permanently destroy one rack, how realistic is it that the other racks are unharmed ? If the rack is destroyed by fire and is in a row with the six other racks, there is a very high chance that the other racks will also be damaged. Note that I am not a system architect nor a system administrator : I may be completely wrong ;-) If it turns out that the probability of a single rack to fail entirely and independently of the others is negligible, it may not be necessary to make a complex ruleset and instead use the default ruleset.

My 2cts