NAS on RBD

Hi Christian,

On 09/09/2014 6:33 PM, "Christian Balzer" <chibi at gol.com> wrote:
> I have nearly no experience with ZFS, but I'm wondering why you'd pool
> things on the level when Ceph is already supplying a redundant and
> resizeable block device.

That's really subject to further testing. At this stage I'm just
guessing that multiple vdevs (one to one rbd-vdev mapping) may give
ZFS more opportunity to parallelise workload to the cluster, and if we
do need to expand a pool it's obvious we could just add vdevs in xTB
blocks rather than growing non-redundant vdevs (don't even know if
that is possible). I'm sketchy about how that works in ZFS so will
need some testing to determine if that's really the best option.

The reason for leaning towards ZFS is inline compression and native
read cache and write-log device support. The rich set of dataset level
features also doesn't hurt.

> Using a CoW filesystem on top of RBD might not be a great idea either,
> since it is sparsely allocated, performance is likely to be bad until all
> "blocks" have been actually allocated. Maybe somebody with experience in
> that can pipe up.

That's an interesting observation, though must admit I'm struggling to
visualise the problem.

<SNIP>
> Another scenario might be running the NFS heads on VMs, thus using librbd
> an having TRIM (with the correct disk device type). And again use
> pacemaker to quickly fail over things.

Ah yes, I forgot to mention plans for KVM based presentation servers
in order to get librbd rather than krbd - that's a good point, I
hadn't specifically thought about TRIM but rather just the general lag
of the kernel. (Those VMs would have pci pass-through for the latency
sensitive devices - vNIC, ZIL, L2ARC.)

Also planning nightly backups of these filesystems to tape via TSM
(using the agent journal, which seems to work okay with ZoL from basic
tests).

Cheers,
~Blairo