Crush Location

On 09/08/2014 09:57 AM, Jakes John wrote:
> Hi all,
>          I have been reading  ceph-crush-location hook  (
> http://ceph.com/docs/master/rados/operations/crush-map/ ) which says to
> add crush location field in the conf file to provide location awareness
> to ceph deamons and clients. I would like to understand whether ceph use
> this location awareness information internally for placing read/write
> requests of objects. I couldn't find related details anywhere in the
> documentation.

I used this recently for a deployment with servers mixed with SSDs and
HDDs. I used this location lookup script:
https://gist.github.com/wido/5d26d88366e28e25e23d

This way I have a 'hostname-ssd' and 'hostname-hdd' bucket for each
machine. I can then create CRUSH rules using those machines to put data
on SSDs or HDDs.