osd_heartbeat_grace set to 30 but osd's still fail for grace > 20

After looking a little closer now that I have a better understanding of osd_heartbeat_grace for the monitor all the osd failures are coming from 1 node in the cluster. Yes your hunch was correct and that node had stale in the iptables. After disabling iptables the osd "flapping" has stopped.

Now I'm going to bring the osd_heartbeat_grace value back down incrementally and see if the cluster runs without reporting issues with the default.

Thank you very much for your help.

I have some default pool questions concerning cluster bring up:
I have 90 osd's (single 4TB HDD/osd with 96GB journal that is a partition on a SSD raid0) 30 osd's per storage node.
I have the default page/placement group info in the [global] section of ceph.conf:
osd_pool_default_pg_num = 4096
osd_pool_default_pgp_num = 4096

When I bring up a cluster I'm running out of the default pools 0-data, 1-metadata, and 2-rbd and getting error msgs for not enough pages/osd. Since osd's require between 20 and 32 pages each as soon as I've brought up the first storage node I need a minimum of 600 pages, but the system comes up with the defaults of 64/default pool. After creation of each nodes osd's I increased the default pool sizes with ceph osd pool set <pool> pg_num and pgp_num for each of the default pools. Do I need to increase all 3 pools? Is there a ceph.conf setting that handles this startup issue?

- whats' the "best practices" way to handle bringing up more osd's than the default pool page settings can handle?