ceph journal - integrity and performance questions

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 2:35 PM, David Graham <xtnega at gmail.com> wrote:
> Question: I've not gone through a setup yet,  just an interested lurker
> reading and interpreting capabilities at this time.
>
> my understanding of Ceph journal is that one can use a partition or a file
> on a Filesystem.... if i use a filesystem, i can have assured integrity if
> the FS does this for me (ala BTRFS)
>
> If i choose to use a partition for the journal:
> --does this get auto-formatted with a filesystem? (if so, what?)
No.

> --I assume no filesystem; but is there check-summing of all data within the
> journal?
Yes; all operations are checksummed.

> --Is the performance of the journal synchronous or asynchronous?

I'm not sure I quite understand this question, but it's fairly
configurable. I believe by default it's doing async IO on the journal.

> --is the performance limited by the performance of the journals queue depth
> 1 capability? (much like ifs)

The OSD will queue up lots of sequential operations on the journal;
don't assume the disk will only have a queue depth of 1.

> --is the journal write pattern random, or largely sequential?

Sequential. There's a header that gets written occasionally, but that's it.

> --if i understand; is it correct to say that *all* writes, no matter sync or
> async from the client will go into the journal, correct?

Correct.
-Greg