ceph journal - integrity and performance questions

Question: I've not gone through a setup yet,  just an interested lurker
reading and interpreting capabilities at this time.

my understanding of Ceph journal is that one can use a partition or a file
on a Filesystem.... if i use a filesystem, i can have assured integrity if
the FS does this for me (ala BTRFS)

If i choose to use a partition for the journal:
--does this get auto-formatted with a filesystem? (if so, what?)
--I assume no filesystem; but is there check-summing of all data within the
journal?

Journal Performance:
--Is the performance of the journal synchronous or asynchronous?
--is the performance limited by the performance of the journals queue depth
1 capability? (much like zfs)
--is the journal write pattern random, or largely sequential?
--if i understand; is it correct to say that *all* writes, no matter sync
or async from the client will go into the journal, correct?

thank you