Using Ramdisk wi

Hello,

On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 09:55:49 -0400 German Anders wrote:

> Hi Wido,
>
>       How are you? Thanks a lot for the quick response. I know that is
> heavy cost on using ramdisk, but also i want to try that to see if i
> could get better performance, since I'm using a 10GbE network with the
> following configuration and i can't achieve more than 300MB/s of
> throughput on rbd:

Testing the limits of Ceph with a ramdisk based journal to see what is
possible in terms of speed (and you will find that it is CPU/protocol
bound) is fine.
Anything resembling production is a big no-no.

> MON Servers (3):
>       2x Intel Xeon E3-1270v3 @3.5Ghz (8C)
>       32GB RAM
>       2x SSD Intel 120G in RAID1 for OS
>       1x 10GbE port
>
> OSD Servers (4):
>       2x Intel Xeon E5-2609v2 @2.5Ghz (8C)
>       64GB RAM
>       2x SSD Intel 120G in RAID1 for OS
>       3x SSD Intel 120G for Journals (3 SAS disks: 1 SSD Journal)

You're not telling us WHICH actual Intel SSDs you're using.
If those are DC3500 ones, then 300MB/s totoal isn't a big surprise at all,
as they are capable of 135MB/s writes at most.

>       9x SAS 3TB 6G for OSD
That would be somewhere over 1GB/s in theory, but give file system and
other overheads (what is your replication level?) that's a very
theoretical value indeed.

Christian