Optimal OSD Configuration for 45 drives?

On 07/25/2014 12:04 PM, Christian Balzer wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 07:24:26 -0500 Mark Nelson wrote:

>>> That's the second time within a month somebody mentions these 45 drive
>>> chassis.
>>> Would you mind elaborating which enclosures these are precisely?
>>
>> I'm guessing the supermicro SC847E26:
>>
>> http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/4U/847/SC847E26-RJBOD1.cfm
>>
> Le Ouch!
>
> They really must be getting  desperate for high density chassis that are
> not top loading at Supermicro.
>
> Well, if I read that link and the actual manual correctly, the most one
> can hope to get from this is 48Gb/s (2 mini-SAS with 4 lanes each) which is
> short of what 45 regular HDDs can dish out (or take in).
> And that's ignoring the the inherent deficiencies when dealing with port
> expanders.
>
> Either way, a head for this kind of enclosure would need pretty much all
> the things mentioned before, a low density (8 lanes), but high performance
> and large cache controller and definitely SSDs for journals.
>
> There must be some actual threshold, but my gut feeling tells me that
> something slightly less dense where you don't have to get another case for
> the head might turn out cheaper.
> Especially if a 1U head (RAID/HBA and network cards) and space for
> journal SSDs doesn't cut it.

Personally I'm a much bigger fan of the SC847A.  No expanders in the
backplane, 36 3.5" bays with the MB integrated.  It's a bit old at this
point and the fattwin nodes can go denser (both in terms of nodes and
drives), but I've been pretty happy with it as a performance test
platform.  It's really nice having the drives directly connected to the
controllers.  having 4-5 controllers in 1 box is a bit tricky though.
The fattwin hadoop nodes are a bit nicer in that regard.

Mark

> Christian
>

>>> I'm wondering especially about the backplane, as 45 is such an odd
>>> number.
>>>
>>> Also if you don't mind, specify "a couple" and what your net storage
>>> requirements are.
>>>
>>> In fact, read this before continuing:
>>> ---
>>> https://www.mail-archive.com/ceph-users at lists.ceph.com/msg11011.html
>>> ---

>>> Steve already towed the conservative Ceph party line here, let me give
>>> you some alternative views and options on top of that and to recap
>>> what I wrote in the thread above.
>>>
>>> In addition to his links, read this:
>>> ---
>>> https://objects.dreamhost.com/inktankweb/Inktank_Hardware_Configuration_Guide.pdf
>>> ---
>>>
>>> Lets go from cheap and cheerful to "comes with racing stripes".
>>>
>>> 1) All spinning rust, all the time. Plunk in 45 drives, as JBOD behind
>>> the cheapest (and densest) controllers you can get. Having the journal
>>> on the disks will halve their performance, but you just wanted the
>>> space and are not that pressed for IOPS.
>>> The best you can expect per node with this setup is something around
>>> 2300 IOPS with normal (7200RPM) disks.
>>>
>>> 2) Same as 1), but use controllers with a large HW cache (4GB Areca
>>> comes to mind) in JBOD (or 45 times RAID0) mode.
>>> This will alleviate some of the thrashing problems, particular if
>>> you're expecting high IOPS to be in short bursts.
>>>
>>> 3) Ceph Classic, basically what Steve wrote.
>>> 32HDDs, 8SSDs for journals (you do NOT want an uneven spread of