From: ceph-users [mailto:ceph-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Gregory Farnum
Sent: 18 July 2014 23:25
To: James Eckersall
Cc: ceph-users
Subject: Re: health_err on osd full

Yes, that's expected behavior. Since the cluster can't move data around on its own, and lots of things will behave *very badly* if some of their writes go through but others don't, the cluster goes read-only once any OSD is full. That's why nearfull is a warn condition; you really want to even out the balance well before it gets to that point. A cluster at 65% and a single OSD at 95% is definitely
*not* normal, so you seem to be doing something wrong or out of the ordinary. (A variance of 20% from fullest to emptiest isn't too unusual, but 30% from fullest to *average* definitely is.) -Greg Software Engineer #42 @ http://inktank.com | http://ceph.com