ceph hostnames

On Thu, 29 May 2014, Ignazio Cassano wrote:
> Hi all, I am planning to install a ceph cluster and I have 3 nodes with 2
> nic for each one.
> I read the documentation and it suggests to set a public netowork and a
> cluster network.
> Firstly I need to know if public network is the network used by clients to
> mount ceph file system or to access rbd volumes and if cluster network is
> used by nodes to exchange all information about cluster (replica ecc ecc
> ...).

Yes, that's correct.

> If it is the correct assumption, the nodes and monitor hostnames must refer
> the public network address or to the cluster network address when I use the
> command ceph-deploy ?

The networks have no relation to the hostnames, however.  Ceph does use
hostnames by default just to name monitors, but this is just for naming
and has nothing to do with what addresses are used.

The only thing that *might* be relevant is that if the the hostnames map
to public IPs, then the 'mon host = ...' config line in your ceph.conf can
use dns names instead of IPs, but most people use IPs anyway, so it
doesn't matter.

sage