Question about scalability

Hello,

On Mon, 26 May 2014 10:28:12 +0200 Carsten Aulbert wrote:

> Hi all
>
> first off, we have yet to start with Ceph (and other clustered file
> systems other than QFS), therefore please consider me a total newbie
> w.r.t to Ceph.

Firstly the usual heads up, CephFS is not considered ready for production
due to the non-HA nature of MDS.

> We are trying to solve disk I/O problems we face and would like to
> explore if we could utilize our currently underused network more in
> exchange for more disk performance. We do have a couple of machines at
> our hands to use, but I would like to learn how well Ceph scales with a
> large number of systems/disks.

It scales rather well, if you search the archives here on the net in
general you will find a slide show from your colleagues at CERN.

> In a safe approach, we could use 16 big boxes with 12 3 TB disks inside
> and explore to use JBOD, hard- or software raid and 10Gb/s Ethernet
> uplinks.

You're not really telling us what your I/O problems are and what your
goals are, scientific storage needs frequently tend to be huge amounts of
data (sequential). OTOH you might want/need more IOPS.

> On the other hand we could scale out to about 1500-2500 machines, each
> with local disks (500GB-1TB) and/or SSDs (60GB) inside.

This will give you in theory a very high performance cluster, given enough
bandwidth between all those nodes.
However I'd be very afraid of the administrative nightmare this would be,
you'd need a group of people just healing/replacing nodes. ^o^

> For now I have got two questions concerning this:
>
> (a) Would either approach work with O(2000) clients?

Really depends on what these clients are doing. See above.

> (b) Would Ceph scale well enough to have O(2000) disks in the background
> each connected with 1 Gb/s to the network?

I'd guess yes, but see above why this might not be such a great idea.

Somebody from inktank or one of the big folks is sure to pipe up.

Christian

chibi at gol.com   	Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Communications
http://www.gol.com/