Feature request: stable naming for external journals

I recently created a few OSDs with journals on a partitioned SSD.  Example:

$ ceph-deploy osd prepare v2:sde:sda8

It worked fine at first, but after rebooting, the new OSD failed to start.
 I discovered that the journal drive had been renamed from /dev/sda to
/dev/sdc, so the journal symlink in /var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-XX no longer
pointed to the correct block device.

I have a couple requests/suggestions:

1.  Make this clearer in the logs.  I've seen at least a couple cases where
a simple "Unable to open journal" message would have saved me a bunch of
time.

2.  Consider some method of generating more stable journal names under the
hood.  I'm using /dev/disk/by-id/... under Ubuntu, but that's probably not
generally portable.  I've been tempted to put a filesystem on my journal
devices, mount it by UUID, and then symlink to a file on the mounted
device.  It's not as fast, but at least it'd have a stable name.

(This was caused by adding an SSD and then moving / onto it; during the
reboots needed for migrating /, drive ordering changed several times.  It
probably wouldn't have happened if I'd started with hardware bought new and
dedicated to Ceph)

Scott