Not specifically related to ceph but 6tb sata drives on Dell Poweredge servers

Hi there,

I'm sure that the Ceph community was somewhat excited when Seagate released their enterprise 6TB SAS/SATA hard drives recently, previously the only other 6TB drives which were available for enterprises were the HGST helium ones which are nearly impossible to find unless you are buying them by the truck.

I got a few of the 6TB Seagate drives in to test and I'm sad to report that these don't appear to be supported on any current Dell PERC raid controllers.

I've contacted our dell support folks and they've indicated that they are not going to add support to the existing cards and instead if we want 6TB+ drive size support that we have to upgrade to 13gen servers when they come out. I also tested these drives on the LSI versions of the same exact cards and they work flawlessly after a firmware update; so Dell is basically just making a 'marketing choice' not to support these drives, there is no technical reason why they shouldn't work given that the LSI firmware works just fine.

I just thought I would save you guys some trouble =)

-Drew