Slow IOPS on RBD compared to journal and backing devices

Am 14.05.2014 11:29, schrieb Josef Johansson:
> Hi Christian,
>
> I missed this thread, haven't been reading the list that well the last
> weeks.
>
> You already know my setup, since we discussed it in an earlier thread. I
> don't have a fast backing store, but I see the slow IOPS when doing
> randwrite inside the VM, with rbd cache. Still running dumpling here though.
>
> A thought struck me that I could test with a pool that consists of OSDs
> that have tempfs-based disks, think I have a bit more latency than your
> IPoIB but I've pushed 100k IOPS with the same network devices before.
> This would verify if the problem is with the journal disks. I'll also
> try to run the journal devices in tempfs as well, as it would test
> purely Ceph itself.

i did the same with bobtail a year ago and was still limited to nearly
the same values. No idea what firefly will say. I'm pretty sure the
limit is in the ceph code itself.

There were a short discussion here:
http://www.spinics.net/lists/ceph-devel/msg18731.html

Stefan

> I'll get back to you with the results, hopefully I'll manage to get them
> done during this night.
>
> Cheers,
> Josef
>
> On 13/05/14 11:03, Christian Balzer wrote:
>> I'm clearly talking to myself, but whatever.
>>
>> For Greg, I've played with all the pertinent journal and filestore options
>> and TCP nodelay, no changes at all.
>>
>> Is there anybody on this ML who's running a Ceph cluster with a fast
>> network and FAST filestore, so like me with a big HW cache in front of a
>> RAID/JBODs or using SSDs for final storage?
>>
>> If so, what results do you get out of the fio statement below per OSD?
>> In my case with 4 OSDs and 3200 IOPS that's about 800 IOPS per OSD, which
>> is of course vastly faster than the normal indvidual HDDs could do.
>>
>> So I'm wondering if I'm hitting some inherent limitation of how fast a
>> single OSD (as in the software) can handle IOPS, given that everything else
>> has been ruled out from where I stand.
>>
>> This would also explain why none of the option changes or the use of
>> RBD caching has any measurable effect in the test case below.
>> As in, a slow OSD aka single HDD with journal on the same disk would
>> clearly benefit from even the small 32MB standard RBD cache, while in my
>> test case the only time the caching becomes noticeable is if I increase
>> the cache size to something larger than the test data size. ^o^
>>
>> On the other hand if people here regularly get thousands or tens of
>> thousands IOPS per OSD with the appropriate HW I'm stumped.
>>
>> Christian

>>> In the a "picture" being worth a thousand words tradition, I give you
>>> this iostat -x output taken during a fio run:
>>>
>>> avg-cpu:  %user   %nice %system %iowait  %steal   %idle
>>>           50.82    0.00   19.43    0.17    0.00   29.58
>>>
>>> Device:         rrqm/s   wrqm/s     r/s     w/s    rkB/s    wkB/s
>>> avgrq-sz avgqu-sz   await r_await w_await  svctm  %util
>>> sda               0.00    51.50    0.00 1633.50     0.00  7460.00
>>> 9.13     0.18    0.11    0.00    0.11   0.01   1.40 sdb
>>> 0.00     0.00    0.00 1240.50     0.00  5244.00     8.45     0.30
>>> 0.25    0.00    0.25   0.02   2.00 sdc               0.00     5.00
>>> 0.00 2468.50     0.00 13419.00    10.87     0.24    0.10    0.00
>>> 0.10   0.09  22.00 sdd               0.00     6.50    0.00 1913.00