Journal SSD durability

On Tue, 13 May 2014 22:03:11 +1200 Mark Kirkwood wrote:

> On thing that would put me off the 530 is lack on power off safety
> (capacitor or similar). Given the job of the journal, I think an SSD
> that has some guarantee of write integrity is crucial - so yeah the
> DC3500 or DC3700 seem like the best choices.

All my machines have redundant PSUs fed from redundant circuits in very
high end datacenters backed up by the usual gambit of batteries and
diesel monsters.
So while you (and the people who's first comment about RAID controllers is
to mention that one should get a BBU) certainly have a point I'm happily
deploying 530s where they are useful.

If that power should ever fail, I'm most likely buried under a ton of
(optionally radioactive) rubble (Tokyo here) or if I'm lucky just that one
DC is flooded, in which case the data is lost as well. ^o^

My beef with the 530 is that is spiky, you can't really rely on it for
consistent throughput and IOPS.

Christian

chibi at gol.com   	Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Communications
http://www.gol.com/