Tape backup for CEPH

On 5/12/14 06:54 , Guang wrote:
> Hello cephers,
> It has been a while since we started evaluating CEPH, and it turns out CEPH is a reliable solution for our use case. Thanks for making CEPH as it is today.
>
> We are trying to use CEPH to store user generated data (UGC), so that we put extra diligence on data durability, there are a couple of approaches to achieve this:
>    1. Have geo-replication to copy the data into multiple regions (usually 2).
>    2. Use tape within a single cluster to backup all data (e.g. at object granularity, at pool granularity, etc.)
>
> While I know there there is cross-region replication implemented at radosgw for 1, I would like to check if anyone has experience on tape backup?
>
> Thanks,
> Guang

Not that I'm aware of.

I'm just thinking out loud here....  Radosgw-agent tracks it's current
metadata position, and copies the objects required to replay those
metadata logs.  Making it replicate to another cluster AND tape at the
same time would probably be relatively easy.  Of course I'm glossing
over all the details of what "writing to tape" means. Whatever that
means will depend on your setup.

--

*Craig Lewis*
Senior Systems Engineer

*Central Desktop. Work together in ways you never thought possible.*
Connect with us Website <http://www.centraldesktop.com/>  | Twitter
<http://www.twitter.com/centraldesktop>  | Facebook
<http://www.facebook.com/CentralDesktop>  | LinkedIn
<http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=147417>  | Blog