Ceph with VMWare / XenServer

Hello guys,

I am currently running a ceph cluster for running vms with qemu + rbd. It works pretty well and provides a good degree of failover. I am able to run maintenance tasks on the ceph nodes without interrupting vms IO.

I would like to do the same with VMWare / XenServer hypervisors, but I am not really sure how to achieve this. Initially I thought of using iscsi multipathing, however, as it turns out, multipathing is more for load balancing and nic/switch failure. It does not allow me to perform maintenance on the iscsi target without interrupting service to vms.

Has anyone done either a PoC or better a production environment where they've used ceph as a backend storage with vmware / xenserver? The important element for me is to have the ability of performing maintenance tasks and resilience to failovers without interrupting IO to vms. Are there any recommendations or howtos on how this could be achieved?

Many thanks

Andrei