Fwd: Bad performance of CephFS (first use)

Hello,

On Fri, 09 May 2014 08:10:54 +0200 Michal Pazdera wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am new to the Ceph. I have 5 PC test cluster on wich id like to test
> CephFS behavior and performance. I have used ceph-deploy on nod pc1 and
> installed ceph software (emeperor 0.72.2-0.el6) on all 5 machines. Then
> set pc1 as mon and mds. PC2, PC3 as OSD and PC4, PC5 as ceph clients.
> All machines use CentOS 6.5 operating system. Machines in Storage
> Cluster (pc1, pc2, pc3) use stock kernel 2.6.32-431.el6.x86_64 and
> clients(pc4, pc5) use 3.10.38-1.el6.elrepo.x86_64.
>
> Machine spec:
> CPU: 3.5GHz Intel Core i3-4330 (dual core)
> RAM: 2x4GB 1600MHz RAM
> HDD: 750GB WD7502ABYS 7200RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

Is that really just one disk?

> All machines are connected via 1Gb/s ethernet thru switch.
>
> OSD use around 730GB disk partition formated with XFS, mounted
> at /export/sda2/osdX and used in ceph-deploy osd prepare
> pc2:/export/sda2/osdX and ceph-deploy osd activate pc2:/export/sda2/osdX.
>
> Then I have mounted CephFS on clients (pc4, pc5):
> mount -t ceph 10.0.0.1:6789:/ /mnt/ceph -o
> name=admin,secretfile=/root/admin.secret
>
> I have run some tests and there are the results:
>   write:  http://postimg.org/image/zblw6a2jz/
>   rewrite: http://postimg.org/image/t9mzzszxz/
>   read: http://postimg.org/image/6e73w046t/
>
> Idealy the speed should be around 100MB/s (network limitation of single
> client). But the write is around 30 and read around 70. I suspect the
> write performance is half of the read because client writes the file and
> its replica at the same time. Still its kind of low it should be around
> 50 MB/s.

You have the reason for the write performance half right.
Every write goes to the primary OSD of the PG for that object.
That is, the journal of that OSD, which in your configuration I suspect is
a file on the same XFS as the actual OSD data. Either way, it would be on
the same disk as you only have one.
So that write goes to the primary OSD journal, then gets replicated to the
journal of the secondary OSD, then it get's ACK'ed to the client.
Meanwhile the journals will have to get written to the actual storage
eventually.
So each write happens basically twice, your single disk now only has an
effective speed of around 60-70MB/s (couldn't find any benchmarks for your
model, but most drives of this type have write speeds up to 140MB/s).

Now add to this the fact that the replication from the other OSD will of
course also impact things.
That network bandwidth for the replication has to come from somewhere...

Look at what the recommended configurations by Inktank are and at previous
threads in here to get an idea what helps.

Since I doubt you have the budget or parts for your test setup to add more
disks, SSDs for journals, HW cache controllers, additional network cards
and so forth I guess you will have to live with this performance for now.

Christian