Cache tiering

Hi,

Gregory Farnum wrote:
> 3) The cost of a cache miss is pretty high, so they should only be
> used when the active set fits within the cache and doesn't change too
> frequently.

Can you roughly quantify how long a cache miss would take? Naively I'd
assume it would turn one read into a read from the backing pool, a write
into the cache pool, then the read from the cache. Is that right?

> So, Ceph will not automatically redirect to the base pool in case of
> failures; in the general case it*can't*, but you could set up
> monitoring to remove a read-only pool if that happens. But in general,
> I would only explore cache pools if you expect to periodically pull in
> working data sets out of much larger sets of cold data (e.g., jobs run
> against a particular bit of scientific data out of your entire
> archive).

That's a pity. What would be your hesitation about using WB caching with
RBD images, assuming the cache pool is sized large enough to match the
working set.

Cheers, Dan