About ceph.conf

Thanks Sage, it clears my confusion especially for osd journal/data/keyring. And good to know ceph-disk is the right tool to use.

Wei Cao (Buddy)

-----Original Message-----
From: Sage Weil [mailto:sage@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, May 6, 2014 10:18 PM
To: Cao, Buddy
Cc: ceph-users at ceph.com
Subject: Re: About ceph.conf

Hi Wei,

On Tue, 6 May 2014, Cao, Buddy wrote:
> According to the change of ceph-deploy from mkcephfs, I feel ceph.conf
> is not a recommended way to manage ceph configuration. Is it true? If
> so, how do I get the configurations previous configured in ceph.conf?
> e.g., data drive, journal drive, [osd] conf, etc.

ceph.conf is still the right way to set many configuration options.  The only things it is not recommended for are

 - enumerating which daemons exist
 - configuring data, journal, and keyring paths

In both cases, the preferred method is to enumerate OSDs, Monitors, etc in /var/lib/ceph/{osd,mon,mds}/ directories.  The locations can be indicated with symlinks.  This makes it easy to find ceph data on any node, regardless of which filesystem is being used.  The new style ceph-disk utilities which do the OSD partitioning and fs creation steps rely on this.

sage