About ceph.conf

Buddy,

There are significant changes between mkcephfs and ceph-deploy. The
mkcephfs script is fairly antiquated now and you should be using
ceph-deploy or some other method of deployment in our newer releases.

The mkcephfs script would read the ceph.conf file during deployment and
bootstrap monitors from information gleaned in ceph.conf. We don't deploy
Ceph that way anymore. The ceph.conf file is a great place to put
configuration settings, but it's not what we use for deployment now. One of
the reasons for that change is to ensure consistency requirements. If you
read
http://ceph.com/docs/master/rados/operations/add-or-rm-mons/#changing-a-monitor-s-ip-address
you can see why we made some of these changes. Monitors find other monitors
using the monmap, not ceph.conf.

You can view your runtime configuration. See
http://ceph.com/docs/master/rados/configuration/ceph-conf/#viewing-a-configuration-at-runtime
You can also make runtime changes.
http://ceph.com/docs/master/rados/configuration/ceph-conf/#runtime-changes

To understand what mkcephfs and ceph-deploy are doing, you can look at a
manual process for bootstrapping a cluster here:
http://ceph.com/docs/master/install/manual-deployment/

I hope this helps.