Replace OSD drive without remove/re-add OSD

Hi Cedric,

Thanks for your reply.

On Sun, May 4, 2014 at 6:16 PM, Cedric Lemarchand <cedric at yipikai.org>wrote:

>  Hi Indra,
>
> Le 04/05/2014 06:11, Indra Pramana a ?crit :
>
>  Would like to share after I tried yesterday, this doesn't work:
>
> > - ceph osd set noout
> > - sudo stop ceph-osd id=12
> > - Replace the drive, and once done:
> > - sudo start ceph-osd id=12
>
> You said a few lines afterwards that a new OSD number is assigned, so
> there is a typo here : you would use "sudo start ceph-osd id=new_id" (13
> for example). I don't know how you could start the new OSD with the number
> of the old one ? (except if you removed it before, please clarify)

I actually wanted to try replacing the drive and start back the OSD without
preparing, therefore I used the same osd number. It didn't work. :)  So I
went ahead with the normal procedure (add new OSD and remove the old OSD).

>   > - ceph osd unset noout
>
>  Once drive replaced, we need to ceph-deploy zap and prepare the new
> drive, and a new osd number will be assigned. Remapping will start
> immediately after the new OSD is in the cluster.
>
> I am not a guru, but I think this is an expected behaviour : noout only
> prevents OSDs to go out, here a new one in added to the cluster so a
> remapping begins.
>
> A thing that come in my mind is that, at the moment of the remapping, you
> still have the old OSD marked IN+DOWN, so the remapping is maybe computed
> with all the OSD marked IN, and a new remapping is computed right after you
> remove the old OSD.
>
> Maybe noin and nobackfill flags could plays well here in order to *freeze*
> every actions related to OSD topology changes until everything has been
> done, so I would try  :
>
> - set noout + noin and/or nobackfill (maybe noin would suffice, not that
> the cluster is naked at this time ...)
> - stop old OSD
> - remove old OSD
> - add new OSD
> - unset flags

Thanks for the recommendation! Didn't think about this earlier. Yes it may
be better to remove the old OSD first before adding the new one. It may
utilise the same OSD number as well. Will try this method next time.

Cheers.