Re: RBD as backend for iSCSI SAN Targets

Hi Wido,

I will have some new hardware for running tests in the next two weeks or
so and will report my findings once I get a chance to run some tests. I
will disable writeback on the target side as I will be attempting to
configure an ssd caching pool of 24 ssd's with writeback for the main pool
with 360 disks with a 5 osd spinners to 1 ssd journal ratio. I will be
running everything through 10Gig SFP+ Ethernet interfaces with a dedicated
cluster network interface, dedicated public ceph interface and a separate
iscsi network also with 10 gig interfaces for the target machines.

I am ideally looking for a 20,000 to 60,000 IOPS from this system if I can
get the caching pool configuration right. The application has a 30ms max
latency requirement for the storage.

In my current tests I have only spinners with SAS 10K disks, 4.2ms write
latency on the disks with separate journaling on SAS 15K disks with a
3.3ms write latency. With 20 OSDs and 4 Journals I am only concerned with
the overall operation apply latency that I have been seeing (1-6ms idle is
normal, but up to 60-170ms for a moderate workload using rbd bench-write)
however I am on a network where I am bound to 1500 mtu and I will get to
test jumbo frames with the next setup in addition to the ssd¹s. I suspect
the overall performance will be good in the new test setup and I am
curious to see what my tests will yield.

Thanks for the response!

Karol